Shipping pallets don’t exactly scream home makeover, but you’d be surprised by all of the rustic kitchen ideas that can be born from this discarded wood. If you’re up for a good DIY home project, start by hunting for palettes at local retail stores or warehouses. You can usually get someone to hand them over to you for free! Once you’ve got the goods, gather the rest of the materials you’ll need to bring one of these five amazing creations to life.
- Outdoor Seating: Step up your patio game by building your very own sofa made from pallets. This stylish, wooden outdoor seating project from HGTV can add a quaint, country feel to your backyard design. Mix up the elements with porcelain tile flooring, composite planters, and farm-style string lights. For the final touch, outfit your new sofa with colorful cushions that add character and charm.
- Storage Bins: Pallets can make great storage containers for organizing your garage or backyard. They are much more attractive than your standard plastic storage bins — and since you’re building these containers yourself, you can customize the size to your exact dimensions. This tall basket made from pallets is a great example of a size that would work well for outdoor tools like your rake and shovel. But since pallets can be cut down, the storage possibilities are really endless. For instructions from DIY Network, click here.
- Wine Rack: Every home bar needs a wine rack, and you can build your own using reclaimed shipping pallets. This has to be one of our favorite rustic kitchen ideas, as it brings you right to the farm and delivers an authentic country look. This wine rack design from HGTV holds your wine bottles and your stemware and can even be used in your outdoor kitchen. If this project sparks your inner DIYer, keep the creativity flowing by repurposing your empty wine bottles into a wind chime or slow drip irrigator.
- Headboard: If your bedroom has an industrial or farmhouse theme you might consider building a simple headboard for your bed. Made with shipping pallets and finished with the stain of your choice, this unique piece of bedroom furniture will add a warm, homemade touch to your room. The best part is that it can be put together in just a few hours. For an instructional video from Homesteadonomics, click here.
- Coffee Table: The sticker price on most coffee tables is shocking. Especially when most are just wood and metal. If you’ve ever thought that you could easily assemble your own coffee table and pay a fraction of the price, like your ready to assemble kitchen cabinets, you’re right! This DIY coffee table only requires a few materials and some basic tools. Like the headboard, it can be stained to complement your other furniture. This piece will fit perfectly into your casual TV room or outdoor seating area.
At The RTA Store, we help make your dream home a reality with RTA (ready to assemble) and pre-assembled cabinets and accessories. Whether it’s your kitchen, bathroom, laundry room, home office, home bar, or TV room, we offer the same (if not better) quality you would find at any retail store, but for a fraction of the price. Stop by our website or give us a call, and let us make your dreams come true with the help of our free room design service.