What can be cuter (or more romantic) than a Valentine’s Day charcuterie board to share? There’s no need to spend countless hours cooking a big, fancy dinner in the kitchen on this beloved holiday. Instead, bring together a simple mix of sweet and savory bites served with love. Here, we offer a dash of inspiration to get you started.
What You Need
Every charcuterie needs a board, but to be truly epic, you can make your own! This tutorial from The Art of Doing Stuff teaches you how to DIY a rustic charcuterie board in just two hours and is suitable for even beginner DIYers. A handcrafted charcuterie board is a truly thoughtful gift that will be cherished for years to come, but in a pinch, a large ceramic platter or even a wood cutting board will do. You will also need some small bowls, cheese knives, and other serving utensils.
A Little Something Spicy
- Cured Meats: Genoa Salami, Prosciutto, Pepperoni, Chorizo, Sopressata
- Crackers: Whole Grain Wheat, Soda Crackers, Pita Chips
- Bread: Pumpernickel, Rye, Sliced Baguette, Breadsticks
- Pepper Jam: Jalapeno, Red Pepper, Fruit Varieties
- Olives / Pickles: Spanish Green, Italian Black, Kalamata, Gherkin
- Raw Veggies: Cherry Tomatoes, Cucumbers, Bell Peppers, Endive, Celery, Mushrooms
- Nuts: Pistachios, Almonds, Pecans, Cashews, Walnuts
A Little Something Cheesy
When picking out cheeses for your charcuterie board, be sure to include a mix of strong and mild flavors, and soft and hard textures. Since it’s Valentine’s Day, splurge a little on artisanal varieties. Options include:
- Soft Cheeses: Boursin, Brie, Buffalo Mozzarella, Camembert, Havarti, Goat, Blue
- Hard Cheeses: Irish Cheddar, Emmentaler, Gouda, Gruyère, Provolone, Parmigiano Reggiano
A Little Something Sweet
A Valentine’s Day charcuterie board isn’t complete without some sweets for your sweetheart. Raid your kitchen pantry cabinet for:
- Dried Fruits: Apricots, Figs, Cranberries
- Fresh Fruits: Citrus, Berries, Grapes
- Cookies / Cakes: Coconut Macaroons, French Macarons, Shortbread, Pirouette, Brownie Bites
- Chocolate (Dark, Milk, White): Chocolate Covered Strawberries and/or Pretzels, Cream and Coconut Filled, Non-Pareils, Fudge, Truffles
- Candies: Hand Wrapped Caramels, Festive Gummies, Conversation Hearts, Gourmet Marshmallows, After Dinner Mints
As for the arrangement, Better Homes and Gardens recommends placing your ingredients on the board starting with the largest elements like cheeses and meats, followed by smaller items like crackers, sliced veggies and fresh fruit. Then, fill in the gaps with small bowls of olives, nuts, dried fruit, and so on. You could combine everything on one board, but we advise creating a separate spread for sweets. Before serving your epic charcuterie board, don’t forget to pull out a favorite bottle of wine or two from your wine storage cabinet, and place a bouquet of flowers on the kitchen island to help set the mood. Happy Valentine’s Day from The RTA Store!
At TheRTAStore, we help make your dream home a reality with RTA (ready to assemble) and pre-assembled cabinets and accessories. Whether it’s your kitchen, bathroom, laundry room, home office, home bar, TV room, or closet, we offer the same (if not better) quality you would find at any retail store, but for a fraction of the price. Stop by our website or give us a call, and let us make your dreams come true with the help of our free room design service.